The Summit is located in the Library Media Center at the Main Campus. The Summit’s mission is to elevate students’ education through continuous academic, character, life-skills, and post secondary planning support throughout their career at The Academy.
Before and After School Summit
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday - 7:15 am - 3:30 pm
Wednesday - CLOSED
Middle School Summit
Periods 4 and 5
As with any new initiative, we are working to become better at what we do everyday, and we appreciate your feedback. Please be patient as we continue to perfect our procedures and systems in order to create a space that is effective for student learning.
Norms in the Summit:
- No one is allowed in the summit without a signed pass from a classroom teacher.
- Enter the Summit quietly as you would any classroom.
- Students not in their seat when the bell rings will be marked as tardy.
- Drop-ins will be limited. Check in with Mrs. Sanchez when you enter.
- Printing allowed at printing stations only.
- We have two laminated bathroom passes per section (colored by section) and four laminated group work/tutoring passes (red). Students must ask their Summit teacher, not the Summit staff, if they may leave.
- Plug in the chromebooks when you are done using them.
- You must clean up your space at the end of the period.
- Closing procedures (Checklist).
- Take Attendance
We currently have the following in place:
- Study Hall: Daily opportunity for your student to complete homework in a quiet library setting.
- Testing/Retakes: Individual students will have the opportunity to take or retake assessments during their Summit period.
- Math Support:
- A math teacher is available for each period to help answer homework questions.
- Math intervention pull-out occurs 3 days a week for at least 8 weeks for those students needing more intensive support (students are assigned to this based on grades and PSAT scores).
- Keyboarding Practice:
- Students will be required to complete a set number of keyboarding practice lessons by the end of the year.
- Differs by grade level.
- More info to come!
Keep in mind:
- Students have access to a computer or a Chromebook throughout Summit.
- Students can request a pass to get help from any of their core teachers during this time, but the time is somewhat limited, and they may have to seek help after school as well.
- Teachers will use summit time to pull groups of students to complete focused study sessions for test retake or extra support.
- Other priorities arise such as Principal Talks, Assemblies, Awards Presentations, etc. that may disrupt the normal Summit schedule. We will do our best to give students notice so they can adjust their homework priorities.